Monday, January 2, 2012

Why Vets Hate the Holidays

Once again I ask myself what is it about the holidays that make people want to put their pets to sleep?  Every year,  veterinarians around the country experience an influx of last minute euthanasia appointments in the 4 weeks in between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I have seen it happen at every place I have worked and  see it now in my own practice.

The stories vary.   Some have old pets that have not seen a vet in years, that suddenly fall ill and require a trip to the rainbow bridge  preferably before the Christmas guests arrive.   Others have grumpy cats that hide and like to bite Grandma,  so a trip to the vet to let her go peacefully and not suffer.   The saddest are the families that acquire a new puppy or have a new baby  and  decide that the old dog has just gotta go.   Some are honest and need to get rid of their family pet because they can not handle the "smell" when family arrives to visit.  Others are going to travel at Christmas and feel that death is preferable to boarding for their cat; living in a kennel for a week  would upset her so much you know.   These folks usually have a regular vet, but feel guilty and try and find someone new to do the deed.  No one wants to do a medical work up and try and help their pet or make a decision based on facts-  they just know it is time to let them go. 

Most good vets can smell these a mile away, but far too many just do what the client wants and perform euthanasia upon request.  I worked for many a vet that just did what the clients wanted, no questions asked.   When I finally acquired my own practice,  I swore to myself that I would never perform what we call a convenience euthanasia.     We  require at least an examination  and often a work up to determine what, if anything is wrong with a new patient presented for euthanasia.   If the problem is complicated with a poor prognosis then certainly euthanasia is a valid option.    If the problem is treatable (within reason)  then we absolutely do not do it- Period!  

 It is so different when we have a relationship with the client and pet, are working with their problems and we come to a decision together that is time.   Those euthanasias I can perform with compassion regardless of the time of year.   Men who show up at our office shouting at the girls and demanding we put his perfectly healthy 12 year old cat to sleep because he is sick of dealing with "it"- I say too bad,  because my staff and I still have to be able to sleep at night knowing that we did the right thing by our patients.   I have to be an advocate for them as they cannot speak for themselves- but I am pretty sure they would choose life if given a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment